Ethan Tyler Smedley
Born: July 26, 2012 at 9:04 pm
Weight: 7 lbs 15oz
Height: 20.5 inches
Our wonderful little boy, Ethan, joined our family on July 26, 2012. He has beautiful blue eyes and reddish/blonde hair. Still waiting to see which way his hair goes.... Let me say his birth was A LOT easier than little Hailey's was. I just might be able to do it again!;-) One day..... in many years!
We had scheduled an induction for July 26. We were hoping not to have to go to that point, but despite doing everything we could to naturally start labor, nothing worked. So at 6 am on July 26, I call up Labor and Delivery to see what time we should come in for our induction. Well they tell me that every woman in Cache County decided to deliver the night before and that morning so they didn't know if they would even get me in that day! Now I think that is cruel to make you wake up to call at the crack of dawn, then tell you they might not get you in so go back to sleep. Yeah right, like I said cruel! So we tried to go back to sleep. My mom and brother had come up the night before to stay over in case we went to the hopsital at six, so we let them know it could be awhile. We got up with Hailey and decided to make it a fun last day of a family of three. But poor Hailey wasn't feeling well. About a week and a half earlier she had been sick with a nasty virus, but had been feeling better. But she woke up that morning with a runny nose, cough and just not feeling well. Well, you can imagine how worried I was! Here I was bringing home a newborn any day and having a sick little girl too! So I call her doctor to see if they can get her in that day. They tell us to come right in because they had an opening. Well, we get there and they tell us that they made a mistake and didn't have an opening, but could see her that night at 5:30. I pleaded my case that I was set to be induced anytime and could very likely be on the other side of the hopsital at 5:30 having a baby! Luckily Dr. Brown's nurse overheard me and told me to just come back! Turns out Hailey had a nasty sinus infection! So luckily she wasn't contagious and antibiotics would help her feel better. Well, after that we headed to lunch at Fredrico's. By now it was 3 in the afternoon and I was thinking I probably wouldn't be going to the hospital anytime soon. Well, as I was eating I get a phone call, and it's time for me to go to the hospital!! We finish eating and run home to switch cars, get my bag and head to the hospital. Ty and I arrived at the hospital around 4: 30 pm. We went up to L&D and got set to have baby #2!
By the time we got checked in and set up in a room it was after 5 pm. Then the fun began:) I was dilated to a 4 and 80% effaced. I am a difficult person to get I.V.'s in. So after a couple of tries we finally had a working I.V. They started the Pitocin at 5:20 pm. We were told to expect it to take 6-8 hours until baby was here. So we settled in to wait. Dr. Blackett came in at 6 pm and broke my water to help labor progress. Well, that worked well! Once my water was broke, those contractions were coming every two minutes! The nurse said I should prob get my epidural soon since I was progressing so quickly. So the anthesilogist came and started my epidural at 7:30 pm. He did an awesome job! My epidural with Hailey didn't work very well at all, I had complete movement and feeling on half my body! And not to mention that antheseiologist had to try two times to get it in. This time it worked much better and was a lot easier. My mom, Grannie and Chels came up right before my epidural. It was kind of nice getting the epidural before the contractions were too painful. I felt like I had a lot more enery this labor! Around 8:30 the nurse came in to check me and said I was dilated to a 9 and completely effaced so she was calling my docotor to come in. But little Ethan was crooked in there, exactly like Hailey was. I was like, wait are you sure I'm ready?! This has gone to fast and last time I had 3 1/2 hours of pushing! So my doctor came in at 8: 45, followed by the transition nurse and said it was time! I was thinking, ok I guess if you say I'm ready, I guess I am! I told her she might be in there awhile, but she said told me this one would just slide right out! Hmmm, I was hoping she was right:) She sat down and told me to push with the next contraction. Well, the contraction came, and I pushed. While I was pushing she told me to look in the mirror, and there was the head!! I couldn't believe it! So she told me to keep pushing! One more push and out out came the head! Then one more push and out came the shoulders! I couldn't believe it! This one really did just slide out:) Ok, so there was a little more pain and agony then just sliding out, but still a piece of cake right;-) We didn't know if little Ethan was a boy or a girl, so Dr. Blackett turned him to Tyler and had him announce we had a little baby boy!! We were so excited! And I was feeling like that labor wasn't too bad!
Seeing our baby boy for the first time! Still brings tears to my eyes:)
Holding his son for the first time!
My wonderful doctor, Dr. Blackett! We told her she is the reason it went so smoothly this time:)
We got up to the Mom/Baby floor around 10:30. My family brought Hailey up to meet her little brother for the first time! It was so cute to watch her interact with him. All through my pregnancy she would kiss and hug my belly saying it was for the baby. And now her baby was here. She was a little hesitatnt at first to hug and kiss him, just watned to watch from a distance, but before long she was not only hugging and kissing him constantly, but also wanting to hold him as well! We are so blessed to have such a wonderful little girl and now a little boy as well!
First family photo of 4!
Hailey loved to point out Ethan's eyes, nose, ears, mouth, etc. Poor kid is having that done on a daily basis:)
My two beautiful babies!
Aren't they the two cutest kids ever!
Welcome to our family Ethan!
1 comment:
I just read your birth story! Love it! My 2nd time was a piece of cake too. Your little family is adorable.
Post a Comment